[pianotech] Acoustic vs. digital - there's the question!

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 09:09:43 MDT 2011

>But who knows how things will develop. it would be awfully attractive to
conservatories and concert halls if a really good electronic instrument was
avalable at a fraction of the cost of a Steinway D.

Best regards,

David.<

Hi David and all. I'm not an expert in the least when it comes to digital
keyboards, so I'm just wondering if my perception of the difference between
the two species of instruments is correct.

Whenever I have a tuning customer broach the subject of abandoning their
acoustic piano and going with a digital for whatever reasons, I ask them if
they would like a demonstration of the advantage of the acoustic piano.
(They always say yes).

To illustrate the full sound that the acoustic piano achieves, I open lid,
remove the music rack, and with the sustain pedal down I play a chord with
my right hand. Then, quickly I use the thumb of my left hand to stop the
vibration of the notes I've just played, while keeping the sustain pedal
down.

The beautiful, shimmering sound that remains, I explain, is the vibration of
the strings that are harmonically related to the notes I played, which gives
the chord a richer, more three dimensional sound.

I then play the opening to a piece that has particularly haunting chords,
lingering on each one with the sustain pedal down to get the full effect.

A digital instrument, by comparison, would in essence play backed the
recorded sounds of the notes I just played, with nothing more - a very 2
dimensional sound, and very unsatisfying, at least in my book.

I compare the sound of the acoustic piano to a live person standing in front
of you and that of the digital to a cardboard cutout of the same person.
Looks similar, but not at all the real thing.

If I was a musician playing on a stage in front of an audience, I would no
more wish to play on a keyboard, no matter how gussied up it was, than I
would want to serve frozen Swanson's TV dinners to guests sitting down to
Thanksgiving dinner. (Yum, those turkey bits and pieces look sooo
appetizing!)

Now, here's my question to all of you. Is that description still valid, or
have the makers of digital keyboards developed a sound that really compares
to that of an acoustic piano? I frankly haven't kept up with developments
occurring in the manufacture of digital instruments, because I simply have
no passion for them. Glorified boat anchors, as far as I'm concerned.

Please correct me if I'm way off base. I realize that I am highly prejudiced
on the topic, but what do you expect from a piano technician. Thanks so
much.  Chuck Behm