[pianotech] Damper wire bushing lubrication?

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Sat Sep 3 14:53:10 MDT 2011

Yet at a point where metal rubs against felt, and friction serves no needed purpose, what is the harm in lubricating? A coating of lubricant reduces friction which reduces wear; it slows oxidation, which slows the increase of friction; and it reduces noise, which we do need less of. I've never seen dust or dirt attracted to or even adhere to teflon; and I strongly doubt it is hygroscopic, having never seen or heard of such a thing. So please tell me again why it's not a positive good to lubricate guide rail bushings or for that matter any felt that rubs metal? Thanks.

-- Mark Schecter