[pianotech] re balance rail break-loose noise

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 11:35:19 MDT 2011

Hi Joe,

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Garrett <joegarrett at earthlink.net>
To: pianotech <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Sat, Sep 3, 2011 10:30 am
Subject: [pianotech] re balance rail break-loose noise

Laura said: "Subject: Re: [pianotech] balance hole break-loose noise

Alan,
I've never used white glue and water. I usually use diluted hide glue
('cause I apply it while I'm rebushing keys) or titebond (yellow glue) and
water. Can anyone speak to the effects of these different glues on the wood?

It seems you feel reasonably sure that the sound is coming from the pin and
wood of the balance rail hole. I've never heard that. I have heard a
"scrunchie" sound of the balance rail felt scratching against the balance
rail pin. I assumed that was from over processed felt and a touch of
lanolin or a puff of powdered teflon has done the trick. I'll be interested
in seeing what works for you."

Laura,
I've always used 50%-50% Cold Hide Glue & Distilled Water for that. I've
never had an issue from it. I do it in the key bushing just as you do.
(well maybe<G> I do it after I've removed/steamed the balance rail
bushings. That way, if the hole tests out o.k. with a balance pin, then no
sizing is used.
Thanks for sharing your process.
I have a whole set of balance rail pins dedicated to this process. I insert a pin in each hole and let set overnight to get a bettersizing. Started doing it that way a few years ago and find that it is moreconsistant.)
So it's true, then: Great minds DO think alike ;-).
I would never use White Glue for that! (PVC-A or E) It has a nasty
characteristic of never getting hard! Same applies to the various TiteBonds
(original, II & III and Moulding).
I have used Titebond and water for years without ever having this particular problem
Yes, I do use those others for various
applications. They're part of my arsenal of Glues, Epoxies, etc. that are
necessary to make repairs. I give a Class on that very subject. <G>
As for key noises, I'm with you: a little puff of teflon does the trick.
Or, if all the keys are off the rail, I use Elmer's Slide All after
cleaning the pins with my super speedy key pin cleaner.<G> GAAA (a new
thangee).
Do tell.  This is a tool that I am interested in.
All of that is another Class called: If the Keys aren't right,
Nothing else can be.<G>
Amen to that.  The keys are the interface between the players' fingers and everything else.  Muy importante!
Don't think I'd use Lanolin or VJ Lube in that
application. Animal Fats seem to do strange things, just when you don't
want them to. Case in Point: Steinway Vertigris.
Best Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police