[pianotech] balance hole break-loose noise

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 11:50:45 MDT 2011

Here's the URL for Michael Morvan's site (
http://www.pianoandorgankeys.com/index.htm). I've had him do tthis job;
excellent results. The link for restoration supplies didn't work for me, but
you can give him a call or email.
Patrick Draine

On Monday, September 5, 2011, Laura Olsen <laura-olsen at att.net> wrote:
> You know, what about enlarging the hole and cutting a kerf or 2 to insert
vaneer front and back.  That would give new wood to the surface area.
> Thoughts?
> Laura Olsen
> On Sep 4, 2011, at 8:11 PM, William Monroe wrote:
>

>> Agreed again.  Over-easing .  There is a remote possibility that Protek
could be an end-game ('though, again, I share your doubt), but over-easing
alone is certainly not an end-game, but was meant as a diagnostic, possibly
a first step.  Considering over-easing the holes to the point of getting rid
of the noise (if that is even possible) and then glue sizing with another
kind of glue.  What substance and/or technique do you use to reduce enlarged
balance rail pin holes?

>> Alan
>>

> Hi Alan,
> I've simply steamed balance rail holes that were modestly enlarged with
good success.  If they require much more than steaming, I machine out the
material and replace with a quarter-sawn poplar insert.  The method is one
created by Ralph Onesti which utilizes mated circular machining bits for
removing the old wood and cutting a matching plug out of new material.  Very
slick system.  I've replaced entire keyboards this way as needed.