[pianotech] Abrasions in polyester finish

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Wed Sep 7 18:38:13 MDT 2011

Paul,

If the scratch is white, but is shallow enough not to go right
through to the substrate, it can be cut out with a hard block (which
has been sanded flat), going through the grades from the coarsest
which is required, to 1200 grit for machine buffing and polishing, or
2000 grit for hand finishing.

The most common problem I see with poly repairs which have been cut
and polished is that the damaged area often is sanded without making
it a wider blend with original surface level. This results in a
depression at the repaired area which can look quite unsightly,
particularly if the final finish quality is good. This is why I don't
use a cork bock or other easily deformed block for the sanding grades
prior to the final grade. It is OK to use a cork block for the final
grade, but it should be used wet and without too much pressure. The
cork block should also be cut flat each time it is used. This will
only take a couple of seconds if the block is close to flat, as it
should be if it is touched up regularly.

A 'hand glaze' won't have enough cut to use straight after the 1200
grit. You'll need a heavy-cut compound, to be followed by an
intermediate cut, then by your hand glaze. There are so many
different makers of cutting compounds out there, but they are
starting to publish their cut rate in their promotional literature,
which finally is giving us real information as to the relative cut
rate and courseness of the various products. I still use a stitched
mop for the first two machine cuts. We currently use three grades of
abrasive compounds from the 1200 final sanding to the final finish.

Menzerna Power Gloss is a very agressive cut which takes out 1200
marks in short order, and will even cut out 600 marks if you haven't
been paying attention during the cut stages. Megiars Diamond Cut
Compound 2.0 is economical to buy by the US gallon, and it cuts out
the Menzerna Marks easily while leaving the surface very nicely
prepared for the final cut with a foam wheel using 3M Foam Polishing
Pad Glaze (05995). Getting a good finish is something which takes
experience and developed skill, but its not something to be
frightened of, and can be a good skill to have to complement your
other piano work.

Regards,
Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers

Web http://overspianos.com.au
mailto:ron at overspianos.com.au

A web page with images of recent work and almost-audio-CD quality mp3
sound files of the Overs piano can be found at;
http://overspianos.com.au/more_info.htm

So put on your headphones, plug them into your freshly restarted
computer and sit back to over 20 minutes of pure piano.