[pianotech] Abrasions in polyester finish

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 20:00:08 MDT 2011

Ditto on what Paul suggested. Another good product that I use on black
polyester is Gel Gloss that is sold for polishing counter tops at Home
Depot (sometimes) or hardware stores. It comes in a hot pink can. It
works great on black polyester. I will often use 1500 grit wet-or-dry
paper (used wet) followed with 2000 grit (wet) and then finish with
Gel Gloss. The very fine wet-or-dry can be found at NAPA auto stores.
The 2000 grit will get you to a high shine with less rubbing out.

 If you want to use a 3M polish, you will need more than a hand glaze.
The 3M Finess-it polish is very good. I buy it by the case. Use the
1500/2000 wet sand followed with Finess-it and  any good wax or the
Gel Gloss. The polyester finish is quite thick, so there is not much
worry about going through when you are doing this with light
scratches.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY