[pianotech] after ring

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Thu Sep 8 16:20:18 MDT 2011

Ed,
Check the rear duplexes.
Roger Gable
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ed Carwithen
  To: Piano List
  Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 1:50 PM
  Subject: [pianotech] after ring

  I have a problem I haven't been able to solve.  The piano is a Mason & Hamlin, probably 15 years old, and there is a very strong after ring especially in the middle range of the piano, from C3-C5.  The dampers are good, and have plenty of pressure on the strings.  I have tried to damp off all the bass strings and the ring is unaffected.  Even when I have damped off virtually the entire piano, it still rings.  The piano is in good condition, the pedals are adjusted correctly.  Everything seems to be working fine, but I can't make any headway on the ring.  Any thoughts?????

  Ed Carwithen
  John Day, OR