[pianotech] Baldwin grand repetition spings

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 22:25:19 MDT 2011

Hey, where's David Love during this discussion?

Taking felt off of bulbous hammers at the staple and below can make a big difference. Actually, it seems like felt removal makes more of a difference than I ever think it should.

What is the knuckle mounting distance on those shanks? It makes a big difference. The DW on one piano I worked on went down by 8 grams (if i remember correctly--maybe it was six, but I'm pretty sure it was 8) when we changed from 15mm to 17mm.

I don't know the details about the history/progression of hammer weights used by Steinway but paring a hammer down to match the original leading could be dicey--the leading might not be ideal to begin with--it happens, even on Steinways, and paring hammer weight down too much can rob the piano of power/tone.

One needs to look at the whole picture. Easy for me to say--I usually zero in on what I think the problem is and find out that I'm mistaken. :-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois