[pianotech] Baldwin grand repetition spings

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 19:35:56 MDT 2011

Laura,
A couple years ago when working of that 70's S&S model O. I considered
cutting off as much excess wood and felt from the hammers as possible
to reduce the DW by 10-12 grams.

I took an extra new hammer (left over from a set) and weighed it on a
good digital gram scale and then started cutting as much off of the
hammer head as I could. I ended up getting little more than a gram off
of it and I questioned the soundness of the remaining hammer. I
thinned and tapered the tail and even tried drilling the wood core. I
did not think it feasible to thin down the shank much. It would
certainly not get me a gram of shavings IMO. It would also be farther
from the head and be less effective.  I gave up on this approach. I
think it would be less work and expense to buy a lighter set of
hammers and hang them.

I am curious how much you have been able to remove and where.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc