[pianotech] yamaha C6

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Sep 8 18:42:11 MDT 2011

On 9/8/2011 5:34 PM, Leslie Bartlett wrote:
> I’ve been tuning a C6 for 7 years or more, and it has every time been
> h*** to tune, and a 3-hour job. Nothing will stay stable. I’ve been
> doing it every two months now for awhile and today was the second time I
> didn’t have to go through each string on second pass. Is it possible
> that the agraffes have been ground so sharply that one can’t get a
> stable termination point?

Is the only problem in the agraffe section?

>I’m a decent tuner and have done some mean
> pianos, but this one has left me befuddled. Any sage advice?????? I
> think it will be replaced by the first of the year, but I’ll still be
> dealing with it for some time.

I run into this sort of thing often in Yamahas. I don't know why, but
something I was sure was where I wanted it and stable will sometimes
move. Best I've found is to make LOTS of noise. I hit them, not hard
except for possibly one firm blow somewhere in the process, but a lot of
times. Checking intervals as I tune unisons helps too. It ain't sage,
but it's what I've got.
Ron N