[pianotech] yamaha C6

Andrew Anderson anrebe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 12:08:26 MDT 2011

I've had a problem with a Kawai RX6 where pins were too tight and
would "unwind" after being "set".  Changed the way I "set" the pins.
Steinway style tuning doesn't work on this one.  The note had to be
set at the middle of the torque range on the pin.  Pull down too hard
and it would spring up.  Pull up too hard and it would spring down.
Rendering was a bit of an issue but it improved with the same
methodology you mentioned.

It always takes me about 1/2 again my usual tuning time.  I did have a
full DC system put on it and it helped but those coil spring tuning
pins are a bear to set.  I'm coming back to a better tuning state now
so I guess I'm getting the hang of it.

Is your area plagued with high humidity too?

Andrew Anderson