[pianotech] The poignancy of travel paper - pulley key shredder thing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Sep 9 10:07:13 MDT 2011

On 9/9/2011 10:28 AM, David Skolnik wrote:
> First, I'm itching to get my hands on one of them pulley key shredders.
> Next, I'd love one of Alex's or Joe's or Ron's toys too. One each,
> perhaps. The irony however is that, as elegant and efficient as they
> are, the entire tech community needs only a couple, total. The
> brotherhood of the traveling pasta-maker, shredder.

Yup, exactly right. But then I figured I'd spent more in time hand
cutting strips through the years than the noodle maker cost, so why not?
Making a stacked razor blade jig would require that I go buy razor
blades, which I don't use either in the shop or on my chin, and spend
the time to make the jig, at at least equal cost in time to just buying
the noodle cutter and getting on with it. If I never use the noodle
cutter again for traveling strips, it's still an excellent size for
making noodles, which we do on occasion. So it's not necessarily a
dedicated one time use tool, and even if it were, a profession full of
people who own $800 and more in assorted high priced tuning hammers and
$4000 in multiple ETDs doesn't have much nose to look down at the
purchase of an $11.49 travel paper strip cutter.

> And yet, the heart wants what it wants.

Life without the occasional toy needs another close look, because
something very important is missing. I am what I consider the advantage
of being a cheap date, and the joy for me is finding or making something
that actually works like I think it ought to. This has proven through
the years to be a considerably more difficult criteria to meet than any
other - by far. My toys don't have to cost thousands to be therapeutic,
so I'll never be tempted by the Web surfing ITune playing big screen
noodle cutter with the touch screen remote no matter how big and shiny
they get. While I was paying my PTG dues with those first couple of
tunings of the year, that capstan adjustment pass took care of the
noodle cutter. I do hope, however, that my $11.49 linguini buddy is
actually real, in stock, and is shipping. That's another thing altogether.

Ron N