[pianotech] Geo Broadbent Tuning Pins

Dave Smith dsmithpiano at centurylink.net
Thu Sep 22 14:02:01 MDT 2011

I encountered a Geo Broadbent straight-strung grand piano with tuning pins as shown. Piano is over 100 years old. Although the pin shown is a bit chewed up from some previous tech (not this one) using vise grips, it it pretty close to the other undamaged ones still in the piano. No tuning lever tip I have seen will fit this, as the pin is rectangular in shape, .2”x.26” roughly. The pins are threaded into the block with a pretty coarse thread.

Does anyone know where to find a hammer tip that would fit this type pin? The piano was moved here from South Africa, where apparently the techs had no trouble tuning it :}

Also the piano is sitting at about 100c flat to A440, but I was assuming it was designed to be tuned at A415 anyway. Any thoughts on this also? Thanks

Dave Smith
SW FL