[pianotech] Geo Brodbent Tuning Pins

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 22 22:16:49 MDT 2011

Dave Smith said: "encountered a Geo Broadbent straight-strung grand piano
with tuning pins as shown. Piano is over 100 years old. Although the pin
shown is a bit chewed up from some previous tech (not this one) using vise
grips, it it pretty close to the other undamaged ones still in the piano.
No tuning lever tip I have seen will fit this, as the pin is rectangular in
shape, .2?x.26? roughly. The pins are threaded into the block with a pretty
coarse thread.

Does anyone know where to find a hammer tip that would fit this type pin?
The piano was moved here from South Africa, where apparently the techs had
no trouble tuning it :}

Also the piano is sitting at about 100c flat to A440, but I was assuming it
was designed to be tuned at A415 anyway. Any thoughts on this also? Thanks"

Dave,
Your Assumption that the piano should be tuned at 415 is not a good one. IF
there are structural issues then it needs to be repaired and tuned to it's
original designed pitch. Most pianos of 100-150 years of age were designed
to be tuned to at least 435. If it were German, probably 450 would be what
they designed it to be tuned to. (Check Helmholz, in the back Glossary,
etc.<G>)
As for a tuning tip to fit it? Jeez, I suspect you've never run into an
"oval" tuning pin!<G> Check Schaff. Tips readily available. All of my
catalogues are at another site, at the moment, so I can't look it up for
numbers, etc.
The "oblong Tip" and a "tip adaper" will suffice. Even though, in "the day"
a double headed head/tip configuration was used for efficient tuning of any
piano that had these type tuning pins. The one "Unique" thing, I noticed,
is the really course/deep threads! Wow! that's really a new one on me!
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.