[pianotech] theory question

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Sep 27 15:43:40 MDT 2011

As Will W. pointed out in a post that followed on the heels of yours to my in-box, these numbers are parts of the Figured Bass system, used as a shorthand for keyboard players centuries ago. "6" is actually an abbreviation for "6".
												 3
Whether a chord is major or minor is determined, in music from that time in history, by the key signature. If there is to be a deviation from what the key signature indicates, the appropriate accidental would appear under the bass note (such as in the case of a Picardy Third, a major chord at the end of a piece in a minor key).

Alan Eder