[pianotech] action brackets

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Sep 29 12:21:15 MDT 2011

Tom

It depends on how much "damage" was done by the previous tech. If the action has never been altered, like the technician raising the capstans, or lowering the drop screws and let off buttons, then it will only take you an hour or so to install the new brackets, and make some minor adjustments. The man problem is with the middle two brackets. The holes for the new ones are not in the same place as the old one. So you'll have to drill new holes, at an angle, to fit the holes in the bracket. The problem with that, I've found, is that the screws that hold the wood braces for the action brackets, will be in the way, so you'll have to move them first. I sounds more complicated than it really is.

While you've got the action on the bench, it's a good time to remove the keys and clean under them. You can also shape the hammers and tighten the screws. But other than than the job of replacing the brackets is pretty straight forward.

What you want to watch for is the position of the jack under the knuckle. You're told, and others will tell you, that you have to have the exact action spread. But I've found that lining up the jacks under the knuckle core will get the job done, too. Do the end ones first, and the replace the middle brackets.

Wim Bees, RPT
Hawaii