[pianotech] action brackets

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Sep 29 13:02:51 MDT 2011

I had to do this a couple times.  Both were existing customers of mine who
purchased new from the dealer, and all "new piano" stuffs had been done.

It will take a bit of time.  I would plan on a short afternoon, or
morning.  Once the brackets are in, you'll have to realign the jack to
knuckles, set a new blow distance, backchecking let off drop, etc.
Basically start from scratch on the stack.  If you've done this before,
which I'm sure you have, being the keybedding is all good....key height,
dip, etc. You'll  be fine in 3-4 hours or so.  Of course, when I did this,
I would throw in a "touch up" tuning so it all sounds nice and also
playable when you leave.  You might sell them on a complete cleaning too
if you have the time...a way to pick up a few extra bucks while you're
there. Good to do while everything is torn apart.

Best of luck
Paul