[pianotech] piano going out of tune

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 05:34:32 MDT 2011

Hi William & John,
Thanks for your helpful advice.  So am I correct then, the humidity outside will still have an affect even if the temp inside is pretty evey i.e ac is on?

John the piano did exactly what you said, unisons were decent, but other things went sour.  As for charging them, I did charge a little.  This is a church and school with 10 pianos roughly.  So I billed them for a "touch up" tuning.  I felt I had to do this because I do use public transit often when I tune there sometimes with the cab, tip and train even with my discount card on the train the total one way can be over 10 bucks.  I hope I'm not wrong in trying to make a profit.

I was really worried when this happened. I know we improve as we go along in this field, but I was worried that my skill was slipping or that something was wrong.  I almost felt panic. So to repeat, the humidity outside can still have an affect on a piano inside even if the temp inside is pretty even?  How does the piano feel the change in humidity outside then if the room in this case a fellowship doesn't have windows?  We've had our share of up and downs with weather here onthe east coast, rain humidity, a little dryer/cooler earlier this month and then warmer and more humid again.  In fact when I return next month, I'm going to check it again becase we're supposed to get cool again this weekend and maybe warm up again.  Thanks again guys. I hope youu can ease my mind over this this.
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com