[pianotech] Marshall - interesting thing with a tuning

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 10:24:38 MDT 2011

Marshall,
I agree with all that have responded to you. Yesterday, I attempted to tune
a Thomasville Yamaha P-22. Usually, these are not too bad and are
relatively easy to tune. This one was a BEAR! Early into the tuning I
realized this piano was what I call a cranky one, (takes one to recognize
one!<G>). I shifted my approach and continued on. I did spend about 1/2
hour more than I usually do, to get it to submit!<G> It was not an easy
tuning, to be sure. The previous tuner had not recognized this piano's
problems, (pressure bar not low enough and tuning pins w/flag pole
problems, inconsistantly, I might add), consequently, the piano was all
over the map. I'm hoping that my extra effort has tamed this "beast". If it
hasn't AND IF the client asks me back, I may suggest another piano.<G> Then
again, maybe not. Who knows. Such is the nature of our biz. We can't and
aren't guaranteed that all will be roses..
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I