[pianotech] bridge pin drill speeds

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri Sep 30 11:33:47 MDT 2011

To those of you on the forum who do bridge recapping and such, I pose the
following question:  what do you consider to be an optimal RPM speed for the
bridge pin drill bit to be turning at?

I have a reason for this question.  In the past I have drilled my bridges in
the piano with the bridge glued on the board, and the board glued into the
rim,using a hand electric drill.  But I am in the process of changing my
bridge capping methodology whereby I am capping the bridge with horizontally
laminated veneers, and this means I will be planning the root to establish
down bearing, and then gluing on the laminated cap of established thickness
to it.  After I plane the bridge root, I will remove the bridge from the
panel (which is held in place by a multitude of screws) to readily glue on
the cap.  I want to take advantage of this access to drill and notch my
bridges as well, and then glue the bridge to the panel, and finally glue the
whole board into the rim.  Given that I will have the bridge off the panel
and attached to a work table, I am planning on making a drilling jig with
the desired drilling angle built in, along with an adjustable depth stop.
The jig would need to use some kind of small inline drill like a pneumatic
inline drill (about 2500 RPM) or and electric inline drilling tool (Dremel
tools 5,000 to 35,000 RPM)

Testing on my drill press at 2500 RPM, the pneumatic seems doable.  But the
hose attached to the tool can be unwieldy, so I am leaning towards an
electric tool.  But I am concerned that the speeds of 5,000 RPM up will be
too fast, and burn and expand the hole.  Does anyone have experience using a
Dremel type tool for bridge drilling?

I will happily entertain other suggestions for tools.  Thanks for your
input.

Will