[pianotech] dues payment fiasco

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 17:55:34 MST 2012

Huh?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Horace Greeley
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:28 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] dues payment fiasco

Hi, David, All,

At 12:57 PM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
>One thing though is to make sure that your pop-up blocker is disabled.

Please be aware that a blanket/complete disabling of a browser's
pop-up blocker is considered one of the first steps in "best
practice" securing a Windows machine.  While many website developers
don't like it, and it can slow down one's Internet "experience",
purging both the main browser cache and deleting "cookies" can save a
great many headaches with security issues.

Most modern browsers will allow the user to selectively enable
pop-ups from specific sites while still keeping the blocker otherwise
in place.  Competent web developers actively test their work product
across (at least) Chrome, Firefox, IE, Opera, and Safari, each on
several different platforms (which means multiple versions of
Windows, MacOS, and, yes, Linux...in today's world of being able to
run multiple virtualized machines on a single physical devices,
failing to do this kind of testing is simply unprofessional).  As
much of the world moves to more WebKit and Java-based browsers for
things like iWhatever and all the look-alike tablet-type devices,
developers are going to have to keep up with a greater number of such
interfaces.  One snare that keeps surfacing for Windows-based
back-end webservices (servers, applications, databases, and the like)
is that the platform still does not play nicely with other, non-MS,
software and/or operating systems.  Choosing to use an MS back-end
presupposes an assumption of responsibility to make sure that other
software will interface at least reasonably well.

Users of IE should be aware that patch levels on Windows machines are
critical to security; and functionality/usability of various tools
within the Windows environment (including IE) will be affected
(sometimes dramatically) if/as there are any mis-matches.  While one
can still get into trouble by enabling Windows to automagically
update, that process is safer than it used to be; and is definitely
better than nothing.  There is a bewilderingly huge amount of
information on line about how to configure various Windows versions
so that they are at least marginally secure and still usable.  While
much of the stuff on the MS site is primarily aimed at institutional
and/or commercial users and their service personnel, following their
security guidelines will help minimize potential problems.

Another thing to consider is that, if you're running an older system
and/or operating system and/or software, you're running out of time
for your current setup to be able to handle the volume of data that
is being forced down the wire to your electronic workspace.  Several
iterations of various MS and Mac OSes will be "end of life" within
the next year.  Part of the reason for that (beyond security issues)
is that they don't "speak" IPv6, which is the "new" (which means
finally officially implemented) addressing scheme for the entire
Internet.  If you know the difference between IPv4 and IPv6, then
you, too, probably know too much about this stuff already.  For
everyone else, it simply means that, unless your ISP starts turning
hand-springs and keeps backward compatibility alive for their
customers, your machine really won't be compatible with the overall
Internet infrastructure for more than another couple of
years.  You'll have less trouble with this if you're using some
flavor of Linux because most distributions already have the new
coding built into their OS kernel; and, only FWIW, if you can tune
and regulate a piano with any degree of competency, you can use Linux
for your workstation...it simply isn't rocket science.  For everyone
else, there's Windows 7 (Pro version, please; the lower versions
don't have enough turned on and all that "Ultimate" really gets you
is advanced language support) and/or Mac OS flavour du jour (currently
10.6.8).

Anyway, if your Internet connection is less than broadband ethernet
or ADSL2 (compliance with ADSL2 standards will work, too).  That is,
if it's taking 30 to 60 seconds for a webpage to load or to navigate
from one to another, it's time to re-evaluate your present overall
setup and decide if what you have is sufficient (and won't make you
too crazy) to keep using.  If you've been thinking about making any
changes...looking into another ISP, getting a new computer,
etc...now's as good a time as any.

In any event, there's more to this set of issues than meets the eye;
and, especially as everyone's setup is going to be almost
definitionally different, there simply isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

Sorry the above is complicated.  I hope that it is of some help.

Kind regards.

Horace