[pianotech] Music Sorb humidity control

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 12 13:58:35 MST 2012

Ryan, and others:

That's pretty much what I thought.  Only in a totally, or at least mostly sealed environment could I see it doing much good at all.  Like Paul mentioned, it may have locations and conditions where it does work, but as a rule, most clients aren't going to keep their pianos enclosed in piano storage containers (which I would imagine helps anyway keeping the piano out of the quickly changing room humidity from drafts, open/closed doors, A/C units, etc).  Most clients would stuff a bag in there, forget about it, keep the lid up, cover off, and steam clean their carpets and wonder why it doesn't work! Oh the humidity!

I did happen to look at their prices and they were asking about $37.50 per kilogram, and they recommended 2 per average piano...then they suggested replacing them yearly.  So, $75 - 80/yr is a good little expense, especially if it works marginally at best.

I would be inclined to say no on this product too, except maybe in special cases such as Paul mentioned.

Thanks for your input.

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com