[pianotech] CA fume fan

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:16:09 MST 2012

This is my second try at replying. I never saw the first come through and
think it was because the attachment was to large. I apologize if this is a
duplicate.

To help with the fume problem, I created a device made from standard duct
work, a round duct booster fan and a length of 4" flexible shop dust control
tubing (about 10-12 feet). The fan was the largest that I could get (8") and
reducers were used to get the diameter to 4" for the flexible hose. At the
other end, a floor vent adapter was fitted so that the fan was farther back
from the opening of the unit and so that the unit would sit flat. An
electrical box was attached to the side and was wired to a 3 prong plug. It
turned out to be less expensive to by a long, heavy duty extension cord and
cut the end off then to buy the wire and plug. The hose is stored in a
plastic storage box with a lid and the exhaust unit sits on top.

The unit is set outside a door or in a window and the flexible hose is held
close to the pins while gluing. It is extremely quiet (I have to feel the
end of the hose to tell if it is running). The reduction of the size of the
fan housing to the size of the hose is supposed to create a vortex affect
that increases the air flow as compared to what the fan would normally pull
in an 8" duct.

My experience has been that there is no problem with vapors either to myself
or left in the house. If I forget to move the hose along with the gluing,
the vapors bother my eyes immediately. My vision is poor, so I tend to have
to work close to the pins to see what I am doing. Without this unit, it
would be impossible to do this job. I also hover the hose back and forth
over the pins after I am done to try and get the last of the fumes out as
the glue dries.

Hope that this helps to get some creative juices flowing with other ideas to
help with this job.

Rex Roseman

CA fume fan.jpg

sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail
security settings to determine how attachments are handled.