[pianotech] Repinning / pinblock replacement

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Feb 13 14:02:43 MST 2012

I'm not Joe but perhaps I can offer a couple of observations based on a fair
amount of time spent in several Asian factories.

For the most part the pinblocks used in Korean and Chinese pianos are of
adequate to good quality. Most of them use European beech (or some close
relative). Occasionally you'll find one with maple. The most common problem
I've encountered is-as you have guessed-drilling. Dull bits are common and
often freshly sharpened bits are worse than the worn, dull bits were before
they were sharpened. These pinblocks are often drilled using NC machines of
one type or another and Few of these manufacturers have spent the time or
effort to work out the correlation between drill bit geometry and drill bit
feed rates and rotational speeds. Combined with the common use of
"rolled-thread" (as opposed to "cut-thread") tuning pins the results are
sometimes less than desirable

In all probability repining with decent cut-thread tuning pins-Denro, or
instance-will solve the problem. Try a couple of samples using just one size
over and see what happens.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

del at fandrichpiano.com  <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> - ddfandrich at gmail.com