[pianotech] re-gluing loose hammer felt

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 23:23:52 MST 2012

It could be  a number of things and some that are hard to put your finger on. It could be glue quality, or age. Felt is hygroscopic and can absorb excess moisture in humid season prior to glue up if not monitored and could contribute to failure
 Inadequate amounts of glue applied to the felt and wood, or removal from the press before the glue adequately set. And,... some times the felt is just dang strong. There is an enormous amount of stretch and pull that the felt can exhibit on the joint especially in the low bass after the felt has been tensioned stretched and compressed onto the molding.
   I've talked to Ray Negron/Ronsen and sometimes the reasons are unknown. Certain woods are more problematic too. The Weickert felt is so Strong that we've gone to 2 staples in the low bass mon-chords and it really helps
Dale

Dale Erwin RPT-
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos
Pre-hung Ronsen hammer sets/Abel parts