[pianotech] re-gluing loose hammer felt

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Feb 14 01:35:56 MST 2012

The glue was probably just fine. It’s pretty rare to find glue that is bad from the supplier unless it is past its shelf life. And in a factory that doesn’t really happen.

Most likely in the case of Baldwin hammers is either too much or too little heat on the side cauls, too much or too little moisture in the felt, not enough glue applied or—and this happened more often than anyone wanted to admit—glue applied just before the break (or lunch) bell rings and the worker goes off for a 15 or 30 minute break before sliding the layup in the press.

ddf

It wasn't until I got to Hawaii that I started seeing a lot of unglued Baldwin hammers. Is it that Baldwin hammers from a certain era indicate a problem with the manufacturing process? Or is it the constant 70% - 80% humidity here in Hawaii that's the problem?

Wim