[pianotech] Bolduc glue

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 24 10:17:45 MST 2012

There always seems to be some mystique about glue, and no solid answers.
I have been assured for years by a few of the 'earlier than thou'
instrument makers that Titebond is completely unacceptable for
instrument work as it creeps and doesn't dry as strong as hide glue. No
one can prove this, as far as I know, and I have a 5 8va clavichord I
made, starting almost 20 years ago, the soundboard panel, bridge plys
and keyboard panel as well as every joint were glued with Titebond and
show no signs of any failure yet. I'd love to see glue data like that
before making a decision on what to buy rather than relying on what is
accepted wisdom in some circles but not in others.

--Dave