[pianotech] Adding weight to Wurly Console action/keys

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 24 19:07:01 MST 2012

Dean May said:
"Subject was 30 year old Wurly console. Complaint was intermittent sluggish
keys.

This was a multiple problem child. The presenting problem was jacks not
resetting. It had the nasty felt for the knuckles and backchecks which
contributed to excess friction on the jack. Then downweight was in the low
40 gr range and upweight was less than 20. I find that that kind of low
upweight causes problems. It just isn't enough to get things reset.

I hate to say it, but Console pianos do not have "knuckles"! Are you
talking about Hammer Butt Leather?
Please explain what the heck is "...the nasty felt..." is.<G>

I changed out knuckles and backchecks to Ecsaine to improve friction. Then I
added about a 10 gram weight into the back of the key and about a 4 gram
fishing line weight to the bridle strap wire. I also reduced hammer spring
tension slightly and damper spring tension until I was measuring around 25g
at damper head. Reducing these spring tensions helped keep downweight from
going up too much by adding the key/wippen weights. The results were down
weights around 50g and upweights in the mid to upper 20g.

 When you "..added about a 10 gram weight into the back of the key.." did
you weigh off the key on a scale to see how much down weight was on each
key? Or, did you just add it to all the keys, in the same place/manner and
assume that the down weight would be the same on each key?<G> The
"...fishing line weight..." you referred to is called a Split Shot Sinker,
just fyi.<G> It would have been more craftsmanlike to just drill a hole
into each wippen base and insert the weight there. I doubt that the CA glue
will do one darned thing to keep a lead weight in place, ...but.....it's
your story, so have fun with it.<G>
The results are definately excellent, although not very note specific.

I added a drop of thick CA after crimping the weight just for a little
insurance.

The improvement was huge. A very responsive action. This is the first one
that I've done adding the keyweights and wippen weights.

It is my opinion, that the key weights alone, would be adequate. Given the
ilk of the piano, it seems to be a lot more effort, than even I, would have
done.<G>  (I've been known to go to major extremes on lesser instruments,
such a Over-Damper pianos.<G>) However, ya can't argue with success! I
suspect the client is elated to have something that actually plays like a
piano.<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.