[pianotech] High tension, low tension?

Albert Picknell pnrfqsnrk at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 28 22:19:45 MST 2012

Thanks Del.  That's much clearer to me now.
Cheers,
Bert

--- On Tue, 2/28/12, Delwin D Fandrich <del at fandrichpiano.com> wrote:

No, it was not a cut and paste error. I went on to say “In both cases, of course, these [meaning those having lower tensions] strings will be comparatively shorter than their high-tensioned counterparts.”

That is, the lower-tensioned strings will both be shorter than their higher-tensioned counterparts. The long, thin high-tension string will be longer than the long, thin low-tension string and the short, thick high-tension string will be longer than the short, thick low-tension string.

Consider note A-49.
(Example #1) If the speaking length is 17.7” and the wire has a diameter of 0.036” the tension will be 181 lbf. We’ll call this a relatively long, thin high-tension string.
(Example #2) Make the speaking length 16.4” long and give the wire a diameter of 0.039” the tension will stay the same, 181 lbf, but we will now have a short, thick high-tension string.
(Example #3) If the speaking length is 16.4” and the wire diameter is 0.036” the tension will be 155 lbf and it would be considered a long, thin low-tension string.
(Example #4) If the speaking length is made 15.1” and the wire diameter is 0.039” the tension will still be 155 lbf and we will have a short, thick low-tension scaling.
Examples #3 and #4 are shorter than Examples #1 and #2 respectively.

My point being that understanding the tone qualities of the varying scale types is not as simple as labeling them as “high-tension” scales or “low-tension” scales. You have long and short, thick and thin and many gradations in between to consider. Each these is going to produce different tone qualities.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com