[pianotech] S&S K(52) Restoration

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Fri Jun 8 13:14:42 MDT 2012

Ron is quite right; it's a huge amount of work for an "improvement" that
will be inaudible. We do it with new design because we can do it easily--the
NC machine doesn't care where it drills or what size hole it's drilling--and
agrafes makes a great selling feature. But at a practical level no
one--musician, tuner or string winder--is going to notice any difference.

ddf

So I take it that it is best to copy the bevel rather than plan on notching
the new bass bridge?
Looking more carefully at the existing bass strings, the maker did a good
job with getting the same amount of winding on each bi-chord string as well
as relatively equal exposed cores at both ends.

Gene