[pianotech] S&S K52 Rebuild (?)

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 8 19:21:13 MDT 2012

Gene said:
"Back again.

Trying to get some ideas about the bass scale and what I may want to modify.

The photos show that the bass bridge was not notched and the result is that
the left string of all bi-chords is 3mm longer than the right. Notching
appears that it will take care of that one but I believe that a notch that
is 90 degrees perpendicular to the string plane is not good enough to create
equal string lengths - another puzzle to solve.

For this and other reasons I do not like the front bridge pin style
terminations.

Looking at the plate in the area of the front terminations it looks thick
enough that if one could drill and countersink with some accuracy - probably
do some grinding as well - agraffes could be installed.

Has anyone ever tried such a thing? Are these front terminations bridge pins
that are driven into the plate? How solid are they in there, anyone ever try
to take them out?

It seems to me that between agraffes and a notched bridge, me and the string
maker would be happier."

Gene,
My first response is: If it isn't busted, DON"T FIX IT! Sheesh. The K52,
imo, is one of the best Uprights ever! Yes, the bass bridge is not in
alignment with the upper "V" Bar. So what?! If you don't like that
particular sound, then redrill the bridge and notch to match the "V" Bar.
Forget the Aggraffe nonesense. Agraffes are not the best termination imo.
Besides, if you go to brass, (agraffes), from Iron/Steel, (the "V"
Bar/Spacing Pins), you will change the tonal production. As for keeping the
String Maker happy? WHY? They don't care, as long as you give them correct
specs! Another Sheesh!
 IMO, changing the basic intent of the designer is not worth the trouble.
Nor, is it suggested. When you have your creds for Piano Design, then do
something different. First of all, go to college and get your Degrees in
Acoustics and Engineering and a whole lot of other needed basic knowledge.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I