[pianotech] broken strings

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Jun 22 10:55:08 MDT 2012

Greg, I suspect the strings themselves may share some of the blame if the
piano is 15-25 years old. It is a higher tension scale, been played very
hard, and the strings may be fatiguing due to work hardening. If the piano
is in that age range I would certainly add that to the list of factors when
discussing it with your customer. They need to understand that they own the
problem: they have an aging piano that has been played very hard all its
life. Would they expect a car that has been driven hard for 25 years to not
have any problems? The piano likely has multiple problems and needs a lot of
things addressed. But the problem will never go away, no matter how much
stuff you replace, until the pianist backs off the right hand.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802

  _____