[pianotech] is there a tool for this

Tom Rhea, Jr. rheapiano at cox.net
Wed Jun 27 22:20:35 MDT 2012

Gene,

There is a tool for this type of nut.  I used it when I was in the Navy,
working on electronic equipment, but I just can't remember what it's called.
Fortunately, I can suggest a workaround.

There are needle nose pliers that have jaws that are bent at a 90 degree
angle to the handle; just imagine laying the pliers flat on the bench so
that the jaws are pointing up.

If you open the jaws slightly with the jaw ends pointing down, the tips
should fit nicely into the holes of the nut.  Gently turn the pliers
counterclockwise and the nut should loosen easily.

The pliers that I described can be obtained at just about any hardware or
electronic supply house for a few dollars and come in several sizes.  Just
purchase the one that fits your needs.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Tom