[pianotech] Why NOT use penetrating oil on those (unusual nosebolt nuts) please?

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 15:21:19 MDT 2012

Joe!
    I have 3 of those countersunk brass nuts (7/8" diameter)  on this Ampico grand, but they only have divots
(not slots) so I'm planning to epoxy some upside-down, 3/32" drill bits into a small bar of steel, for "pegs", drill a 5/16" dent in the middle between them to encompass the slightly protruding bolt ends, apply pressure and twist.
     But why should I not use penetrating oil on this "nuts and bolts" problem? (As you mentioned.)  I'm planning to take the plate out, tonight, so will be quite eagerly awaiting your response! (And suspect that the other guys on the list would like to know, too!)

Thanks,
Thumpe