[pianotech] Hide Glue - Was "Evil Glue"

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 20 13:15:16 MDT 2012

Duaine said: "So, since I don't have a real shop - just my basement - and I
need to replace hammers on an upright piano .......

At a customers' home, I'm supposed to drag, setup and use a hide glue pot
to hang the hammers .....

I don't think so.... just sayin'

FWIW, I've started to use fish glue."

Duaine,
The answer to the first thang is an unequivical: YES!! However, imo, you
shouldn't be putting a new set of hammers on," AT" a client's house! How
totally OLDE SCHOOL...as in get it together and make a space available that
is specific to quality action work. Even my 1st year students have such a
space. It's part of being a real Technician! Sheesh!
As for Fish Glue, I strongly advise against it. It is, actually, stronger
than Hide Glue. However, it degenerates in any humidity over 70%!!! I've
actually had a complete piano come apart, in moving, because it was put
together with fish glue! Really freaked me out. It was a freebie. And, I
soon found out why.<G>
If you do not have the motivation/skill to use Hot Hide Glue, then, at
least use Cold Hide Glue. It works just fine and the next tech will have a
fighting chance to do the client some good. Who knows, that "next tech" may
just be YOU!<G>
Please Consider it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.