[pianotech] Hide Glue - Was "Evil Glue"

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Tue Mar 20 17:08:06 MDT 2012

On 03/20/2012 02:15 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Duaine said: "So, since I don't have a real shop - just my basement - and I
> need to replace hammers on an upright piano .......
>
> At a customers' home, I'm supposed to drag, setup and use a hide glue pot
> to hang the hammers .....
>
> I don't think so.... just sayin'
>
> FWIW, I've started to use fish glue."
>
> Duaine,
> The answer to the first thang is an unequivical: YES!! However, imo, you
> shouldn't be putting a new set of hammers on," AT" a client's house! How
> totally OLDE SCHOOL...as in get it together and make a space available that
> is specific to quality action work. Even my 1st year students have such a
> space. It's part of being a real Technician! Sheesh!

It is called "getting it right" - I put on the new hammers - with - the action in the piano - so that each hammer is
lined up and hitting the strings right - as well as - being correctly spaced and turned to the right angle !

Your way - means bringing the whole piano to my house - right ?

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years