[pianotech] Mystery Clamp

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon May 7 23:44:41 MDT 2012

Ron said:
"That's 'cause you're old, Avery. , like me... Nope. This isn't an angle
clamp. It's part of a two piece straight bar type thing like Joe
described, user supplying the bar. I was just hoping for specifics on
the thing, since it isn't apparently a common item or brand, if it ever
was.

Thanks anyway,
Ron,
I should have given more description of it's use. The part, that you have,
has two clamps, which hold it tight on the edge of your work bench. To the
left of that, (determined by the object, of some length), would be the
"anchor" part, which has only one clamp that clamps to the edge of your
bench. The sliding jaw of the main part has a flat base, that moves with
the toggled/acme thread part of the clamp. The left "anchor has a matching
surface, that does not move, ...(hopefully<G>). If you put the square
"pins" in the appropriate slots of either part, you can actually create a
lathe-like suspension clamp, which I used for duplicating Threads on round
stock. (I used a laminate trim router w/special bit and another "base" to
get it to work in conjunction with the pitch of the thread. It actually
worked, even tho, it was pretty Rube Goldberg in its appearance.<G> Because
you have the best part of the system, any ole "anchor" would work, as long
as it's firmly anchored to the bench top. (I could see a portable vise
being used for that part) So, don't throw that sucker out, it's the good
part. BTW, I bought mine at a high end Woodworkers Store. If memory serves
me, it was something like Woodcrafters. It's probably still available in
one of those "gotta have"stores for that "special" situation.<G>
Regards,'
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police