[pianotech] Mystery Clamp

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 8 07:49:12 MDT 2012

On 5/8/2012 12:44 AM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Ron said:
> "That's 'cause you're old, Avery. , like me... Nope. This isn't an angle
> clamp. It's part of a two piece straight bar type thing like Joe
> described, user supplying the bar. I was just hoping for specifics on
> the thing, since it isn't apparently a common item or brand, if it ever
> was.
>
> Thanks anyway,
> Ron,
> I should have given more description of it's use. The part, that you have,
> has two clamps, which hold it tight on the edge of your work bench. To the
> left of that, (determined by the object, of some length), would be the
> "anchor" part, which has only one clamp that clamps to the edge of your
> bench. The sliding jaw of the main part has a flat base, that moves with
> the toggled/acme thread part of the clamp. The left "anchor has a matching
> surface, that does not move, ...(hopefully<G>).

Yes, I knew that when I first saw the thing. It's half of an infinite
length bar clamp - sort of.

>If you put the square
> "pins" in the appropriate slots of either part, you can actually create a
> lathe-like suspension clamp, which I used for duplicating Threads on round
> stock. (I used a laminate trim router w/special bit and another "base" to
> get it to work in conjunction with the pitch of the thread.

That's pretty close to what I envisioned too.

>It actually
> worked, even tho, it was pretty Rube Goldberg in its appearance.<G>

Yep, been there too. Kite in the clouds, lightning in the ramparts, IT"S
ALIVE!!!!

>Because
> you have the best part of the system, any ole "anchor" would work, as long
> as it's firmly anchored to the bench top. (I could see a portable vise
> being used for that part) So, don't throw that sucker out, it's the good
> part. BTW, I bought mine at a high end Woodworkers Store. If memory serves
> me, it was something like Woodcrafters. It's probably still available in
> one of those "gotta have"stores for that "special" situation.<G>

Not that I've been able to find in hours of looking. I know the stop is
easy, but I was hoping for a name, source, approximate age and original
price of this particular clamp. This was just additional information for
me. These things apparently used to be more in demand than they are now.

Thanks Joe,
Ron N