[pianotech] Ivory Laws

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue May 8 23:51:19 MDT 2012

I think the whole thing has gotten off topic and turning into something
quite different than it started out.   In its original form it certainly was
an appropriate topic for the list.   It wasn't originally discussion on
whether one should or should not harvest ivory.   I think most people agree
on that issue.  The issues being discussed were 1.) whether there is any
legal exposure in selling a vintage piano that already has ivory key covers
and 2.) if there is should one be considering taking ivory off of a vintage
piano before selling it.

The answer so far is vague.  While it does appear that there are laws on the
books prohibiting sales of ivory in any form, there are many ivory
"suppliers" who sell pre-banned ivory ,and many items, such as pianos, that
contain ivory.  The state regulators (at least in California, though this is
a federal law) suggest that the it is more a matter of enforcement than a
clear definition of the law.  I've contacted various people involved in this
part of the trade who claim that they are legally allowed to sell the
products that they have.  I don't doubt them since they are people who have
been in the business for some time and seem to have researched this quite
well.  There seems to be a difference in the law as characterized by import
versus possession.  I've note been able to come up with a definitive
conclusion about what should or shouldn't be done and since I don't sell
that many pianos it doesn't really impact me that much.  But because Fish
and Game has conducted a few raids on sellers of ivory artifacts it's worth
considering.

I would be happy to see political/moral/ethical discussion end.  I don't
believe anyone is arguing that turning over a 1920's Steinway with ivory key
covers is immoral.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com