[pianotech] Kohler & Campbell Hammer Springs

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Fri May 11 07:24:12 MDT 2012

1980 Kohler & Campbell 41.5" Mahogany Console, good condition, except that
several hammer springs have broken up close to the rail/coil, of course
causing hammers not to return.  Springs do not appear rusty, but have what
looks like verdigris at the coil.  Might this have caused spring weakness?
Not sure why they are breaking.  Piano is very clean, rust- and mold-free,
etc.  Excellent, even tuning pin torque throughout.  Anyone know anything
about this era of K&C consoles regarding hammer spring weakness?  They do
not seem like very strong springs, very thin wire.

Also would like to know if the spring rail will remove easily without taking
other parts off the bracketsŠthis will be my first time doing this job if
they opt for it.

They have already mentioned, even without a quote yet, that they thought
this would be a rather expensive job considering they only paid $300 for the
piano.  I'm thinking I'd have to bill 5 hours total for this work.  Thoughts
about whether it is worth doing this job on this piano?  Everything else
looks in "good" condition.

Thanks.

Paul Milesi RPT
Washington DC