[pianotech] Another ETD check

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Sun May 13 23:04:15 MDT 2012

In the spirit of Ron Koval's multi-octave "unison" challenge, here's an
experiment I've done a half-dozen times or so over the past couple years,
on "nice" pianos, Yamaha U1 or better that have stabilized so pitch
adjustment is less than 10 cents:

- Quick tuning to bring it back to the saved tuning from last time.
- Copy the .tun file.
- Re-tune by ear to what I think is "best," and capture the override.
- Go home and study the offsets.

For me, it's +/- 3 or 4 cents, and it's a jagged, random set of offsets.
Usually only a few in the temperament, but a lot offsets elsewhere. No,
most of my customers can't tell. I think some may be able to.

But I know.

I'm a relatively new RPT, passed the tuning exam with good scores, not CTE
level, but pretty good, with some 100's, and the rest 90's, and high 80's.
But I have a conundrum now, are what I perceive my best tunings to be,
"better" than the ETD ones? And who cares? It's an interesting puzzle.

I've recently purchased Verituner for my iPod/iPhone recently and plan to
repeat the experiments. (Can I compare its calculated and measured tunings?
Tunelab highlights the diffs in red.)

Jim