[pianotech] Why I asked Dale to please not share photos of the felt cutter with everyone.......

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 12:48:24 MDT 2012

Ha Ha! Thanks!
     For 15 years I was "head tech" at a firm in Atlanta that specialized in art-case reproducing grands from the 20's, often for celebrity clients. (John McEnroe, Kenny Rogers, lawyers for "Coke", Japanese businessmen flying in with suitcases full of cash, etc..... reasonably fun gig. In our "heyday", we didn't even have a sign on our remote showroom with its darkly tinted windows . ( It was so "exclusive". ) But then about the same time I was rammed at a traffic light (in 2001) by a personal injury lawyer in front of a chiropractors' office ( you may laugh -- I did, betweeen spates of agony over the next year recovering!) the owner became ill, and everything was shut down. I never recovered business-wise, because in all those years working for a firm 50 miles away, I never developed a client base
"at home", with the more cultured, "high end" customers one needs to be successful (materially and spiritually) in this trade. ( And they were almost all sucked up, in the meantime, by a very nice fellow who does excellent work, from his great, big, well-equipped restoration shop in North Atlanta.)
     There is some sort of "lesson" here. (That I don't have time to ruminate on, currently.) But I'm doing O.K., have supportive friends (one with a house that needs tons of work) and my memoir has been requested by some Hollywood "Big Shots". ( A tiny bit of it was already already read on NPR and included in a New York Times best selling compendium of NPR's "National Story Project". If you search for "The Unicycle" on NPR's site, it might still be there.)
     So I'm happy. My brother said (when I was 17 and getting into this trade) "Don't call yourself a  piano tuner!" meaning: the services we provide our fellow humans are things that we DO, not, ultimately, WHO we are!!! ( And my brother has 45 patents in optical physics, and is a top researcher at a very high tech firm---so  he's due plenty of accolades---if he wanted them.) The advice I can give others after suffering these crises is simply to NOT let a fanatic devotion to your "business" wreck your personal relationships, and to try to always see yourself as an evolving being with a large enough variety of interests that if one aspect of your life goes "belly up", you can "roll with it" and soon-enough ( after a  natural period of "depression", if needed) come out smiling --- with friends to love all around you, and a nice, clean, place to sleep.
Peace,
Euphonious Thumpe