[pianotech] Another ETD check

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 08:57:17 MDT 2012

Hi Jim - yes, puzzles can be interesting, and fun!
Using the Verituner, you'll want to have full measurements and be in fine tuning mode to run your experiment.  Swipe to the right from the left side of your screen to bring up the menu there.  You will see "Alter" - use that to make the calculation match your aural tuning.  Make sure to save.Then as you step through the notes, you will directly see how what the offsets from the calculationwere.
More fun yet, if you can describe what you are listening for while you tune, you should be ableto design a custom style that will exactly (within tuning resolution) match your preferences...
In fact, I've never tried, but often thought that the Verituner should be able to give an exact match to a master tuning, because there are specific rules that are followed in the construction of the tuning.Hmmm, I may have to try that sometime.  Imagine setting the tuning with the Verituner and then havingthe three examiners not be able to "improve" anything - that could save some time!
I have used face time on an ipad with other Verituner owners to speed up the learning curve - let me know if you need some help!
Ron Koval

But I have a conundrum now, are what I perceive my best tunings to be,"better" than the ETD ones? And who cares? It's an interesting puzzle.
I've recently purchased Verituner for my iPod/iPhone recently and plan torepeat the experiments. (Can I compare its calculated and measured tunings?Tunelab highlights the diffs in red.)
Jim