[pianotech] Fwd: Boston GP-178

Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft alliedpianocraft at hotmail.com
Tue May 15 08:47:57 MDT 2012

From Terry Farrell. He is unable to post to our list.

Thanks for the info Terry.

Al -
High Point, NC

Begin forwarded message:

From: Terry Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Boston GP-178
Date: May 15, 2012 10:39:09 AM EDT
To: Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft <alliedpianocraft at hotmail.com>

Hi Al,

I'm replying to you privately, but only because I can't post to the Pianotech List - my subscription got screwed up a year or two ago and they won't let me re-subscribe - so here I am a PTG member and can't interact with other fellow techs the way I'd like to. But more to the point.......

I owned a Boston GP-178 for about eight years - I think it was built in the mid-1990s. It was the nicest piano I serviced. For years I tuned it fairly regularly, every four months or so. And even then the "tuning" was really a light touch-up. I don't have whole-house humidity control, but I did have a good four-rod Dampp-Chaser dehumidier system on it (no humidifier). I live near Tampa, Florida.

One time, I guess I got lazy, I let the tuning go for about 18 months. There may have been a couple strings up in the high treble that were five cents or so out, but everything else was still within one or two cents. I had saved the tuning on my SAT at the time, so I was able to compare the tuning state note-by-note quite accurately. That piano was by far the most stable piano I have ever run across.

I had done some Stanwood-type evening out of the action touchweight and some standard but thorough maintenance on the piano - it was and very, very nice piano.

I sold it two or three years ago now to a church. I still see it every six months for a service call. The lady who plays it at the church always asks me "why did you sell such a nice piano?"

I still find it quite stable at the church, but I think with the church AC going on and off as they do (it's only on on Sundays and Wednesdays), that does take a small toll on the tuning. The DC dehumidification system is still on the piano and they have a nice heavy quilt cover on the piano.

If you care to post this to the Pianotech List, please feel free. I hope you found some of this to be of interest.

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano Service, Inc.