[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Tue May 15 08:53:34 MDT 2012

David, Ron - and others...
Yes, I agree a tuning file would be better than just inharmonicity measurement.
David has a Verituner now, so I'd suggest going with that.  It produces target numbers for a number of partials - from 8 in the bass and midrange to just one for the top octave.  In the spirit of "more data is better" we should use all of them.  There is a data export mini-program that can dump it into a spreadsheet, but the ipod/ipad file export hasn't been released yet.  If you save the files, listing relative humiditywe should be able to get the data out painlessly at a later date.
Let me create a custom tuning style that should replicate a master tuning - should we stick to instruments that only have wound strings on the bass bridge to replicate the RPT testing piano - or maybe different pianos would give us more info?  David can test the style to determine if it will meet our needs...
What's the "recipe"?
6:3 wound bass strings?4:2 temperament and down to bass break?2:1 to the top - starting where?
I assume there aren't transition sections between the different octave types?
If we can make this work, it bypasses needing to actually tune the piano, just step through the notes A0-C7 to gather the inharmonicity data and let the Verituner calculate...  Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so!
Ron Koval