[pianotech] Glue for Felt to Metal

James Sasso jwsasso at gmail.com
Tue May 15 13:56:34 MDT 2012

For years I've used Titebond wood glue on hundreds of my player pianos to
adhere the felt for Mandolin rails (Honky-tonk bars or whatever you want to
call them) to the metal bar as well as felt to practice rails of upright
pianos. The glue gives you some setup time to be able to move any felt not
quite where it should be. The key is to rough up the surface of the metal.
I take the metal bar and scrape it up on a belt sander with #60 grit. I've
never had any of the felt come off with that procedure. When I'm called in
to repair a rail with loose or missing felt I find most of the time the
metal surface was too smooth to grip the felt.
Jim
Atlantic Player Piano