[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 15 21:08:14 MDT 2012

On 5/15/2012 8:42 PM, David Renaud wrote:

>> The only way it will mean anything is if it is done as a master
>> tuning by a test committee on a piano previously tuned by a test
>> committee as a master tuning at a significantly different RH%, and
>> the recorded tunings compared.
>>
>> Ron N
>
> That can be done also, Two master tunings at two times of year,
> different humidity levels. It's alot of work, requiring 3 people for
> two days time span.

Yes, I understand that. Since the master tuning is recorded for testing
purposes after it's tuned, I also presume there are already existing
recordings of just those tunings under different RH conditions on the
same piano. If anybody saved those tuning recordings, the data already
exists.

> But I am still interested in meassuring inharmonisity samples
> seasonally for myself. Easy to collect that data starting
> immediately.  And collecting data with verituner will also show if
> the actual harmonics are changing or not.  This will prove if the
> harmonic content of the piano is or is not changing with seasonal
> fluctuations in the board, and resulting changes in stiffness.

Yes, only I'd like to see finished tuning recordings as well as just
inharmonicity measurements.

> Since aurally we do actually tune to those harmonics it would change
> how we tune aurally the same piano in different seasons.

What do you think this is about?

> Therefore, proving the harmonic structure of the sound changes
> seasonally would very strongly suggests the master tuning would
> change also. It then would have to be tested aurally on the same
> master tuning twice as suggested.

It should also affect the repeatability of ETD tunings, which this is
also about.

  Ron N