[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Fri May 18 09:59:28 MDT 2012

Another point to add information into this window in master tuning procedure......

It is common on the master to let the piano dictate how wide exactly between the
4:2 and 6:3 to make those first octaves. Piling thirds, and finding the "middle" place
For the middle third. Even if the given temporary octave is "wrong" , too wide or too
Narrow, the placement of the middle note for the middle place remains the same. And
So we go around a divorce of thirds always placing the middle one. Here the accuracy
Is only restricted by our ability to perceive that middle beat speed. So there is technique to allow the piano to speak to us and dictate the initial Placement. You likely very well know this already.

My purpose is to share that this technique is used n some master tunings and does result
In something wider then 4:2.

The rumor about 4:2 likely comes from trying to give candidates a test to hold onto that
Will get them close enough and within tolerances to pass. The master does not literally
Follow 4:2, as you can see from the various procedures Shared..........
There is room for some debate here among CTE's.  Never less, the tests I am sharing are
The actual tests I have witnessed, and practiced.
    Approaching the bass in a master i was chastised once for going to quickly to a 6:3, and
Encouraged to favor the 4:2, but I was not literally asked to follow the 4:2, just to favor it more.
There remains some debate, and a little push and pull of people's ideas. All around there
Is recognition that there is room within the tolerances for a little play/style variation, at the same time as wanting consistency between masters. Thus, the negotiation in the exam room can take
Some time, and can be an enlightening experience, as people advocate for there preferences within the perimeters given. I like Jim colmans test for treble stretch shared in the last email, because it nails Down a subjective decision for consistency, and saves time in the master.

      The bottom line is the is enough tolerance to accommodate a wide range of styles with
respectable scores.

      Tolerance in the midrange is a cent, becomes 3 cents, and in the extream range becomes 6 cents. The multipliers for error marks range from 3 in the mid, so 6 errors is 18%, to one  in
The  extremes, so 6 errors is 6%.   Current master tuning protocol, even with some room
For small variation, does produce masters that work to earmark errors outside these tolerances.
So it functions. I don't think I have heard a  temperament error that did not have a wolf 4th or 5th.
.9 cent either way is a 1.8 cent window.......and variations up and down 1.8 cents  can get 100%
And yet be a rather "interesting" temperament. The masters function.

       For your experiment I much prefer the verituner data first, to comparing aural tunings first.

I tried to explain to R.N. that two exam teams for 2 days is 48 man hours. I always prescreening
Candidates before booking a test to make sure I'm not wasting people's time. This will be like
Prescreening before booking a team. Except, with lots of real data.  If someone is motivated to
Prove the proven changes on inharmonisity do effect aura tuning, that assumption I think is a very very safe assumption, but that assumption can be tested afterwards if we wish. First I wantto know if the harmonic content of the tone actually does change seasonally, and by how much,
And is there a pattern to the type of piano style, bearing, structure that changes more...
The implications for tuners are large in my mind, especially to those of us using saved concert tunings for broadcast standard work on concert stages.

Ok.......got to visit my shop, all this thinning is facilitating procrastination.......

                                                                          Dave Renaud

Sent from my iPad