[pianotech] More HL problems, sigh.....

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon May 21 08:28:57 MDT 2012

On 5/21/2012 9:10 AM, Encore Pianos wrote:
> I made a sorry discovery when I tried to reply to the thread on the
> piano dolly for the Chickering on the HL site the first time. I wanted
> to look at the grand transporter photo at a site on the web, so I
> minimized my in progress reply so as to bring up the web page to do my
> look see. Lo and behold, when I tried to maximize my reply again, I
> could not find it. Gone, disappeared. Just like a year ago when I lost a
> lengthy reply in the same fashion.
>
> That means that after over a year, absolutely nothing has been done by
> HL to rectify this very basic flaw/bug. That speaks volumes about the
> absolute mediocrity of this company. No doubt this problem still exists
> for all the organizations that they serve, and God knows for how long.
> Did it again when I copied and pasted my reply into this note to Pianotech.

As I suspected from the beginning, HL can't fix anything at all because
they don't have the source code necessary to do so, nor the
programmer(s) if they did. That's not ever going to change. They are
just an office, heated by the burning of change ticket submissions, and
dedicated to supplying Member Max (which also isn't theirs) to the
administrations that cut their checks. We're at the bottom of the food
chain, and don't count.

> Supposedly one of the topics at council will be the discussion of
> eliminating one of the two systems for our discussion forum. My guess is
> that they will do that, but they will not pick the one that functions best.

Oh but they will. They'll pick the one that functions best for them, and
it certainly won't be the one they don't use.

> It should be noted that the majority of people are still using the old
> pianotech forum. Not that what the majority of users have chosen to use
> the most should ever be part of the consideration.

It hasn't been so far, either in the initial purchase and dumping of the
thing on us, or on any possible fixes. Oh, we can get the COLORS changed
in the menus. That's really special. Maybe there's a home inventory
database in there somewhere too. Both were big deal selling points in
1981, so they should still be good, right?

Ron N