[pianotech] Cleaning Very Old Plate

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 20:12:00 MDT 2012

That's astonishing!
  I used to clean bass strings by blasting/spraying them ( after disconnecting the hitch pin end and putting thick plastic between them and the piano) with brake part cleaner. A large amount of filth would settle in puddles in the plastic on the keybed, or in folds if a grand out on the porch, and a nearly "like new" tone and appearance ensue. (After also running them all through the "Dethubbomator", of course.) The brake part cleaner left no residue, but, problem was, occasionally an errant drop of the stuff ( mostly xylene) would leak out onto some part of the piano where not wanted, creating light spot on finish and dark mood in customer. And TOXIC!!! (Leaving one unsure of the purpose of existence itself, for several days, if gotten through or around even a  top-notch carbon mask. Very, very dangerous!)

   After seeing those photos, I look forward to trying your method on the built-like-a-tank Mathushek grand I'm now dismantling!

Much thanks!
Thumpe